30 May 2011

When I grow up





I am completely aware that at the ripe old age of 23 I should know what I want to be when I "grow up", because, well I am almost grown up after all, but I really couldn't tell you specifically. Since I can remember, when someone has asked what I want to be my simple response is that I just want to own and run businesses (that is easier than saying entrepreneur, but realistically, to be an entrepreneur is what I aim to do). I completed my Bachelor of Commerce degree last year but whilst studying and now after I have been lucky to always have jobs that I love, and that I want to be in and really could quite happily continue in my current job for many years to come. But there is always an itch with me and it has to be scratched....

As I'm getting older, I am starting to think more and more about what I do want to do and how I can utilise my strengths as an individual to turn that in to successful businesses or investments.

It's different for me in that if somebody wants to be a doctor, they study medicine, if they want to be a lawyer, well, they work really hard for years at their degree and then can become a lawyer. To be an entrepreneur you just have to always be aware of opportunities that are out there and be motivated in a different way.

With this in mind I wanted to take the time with this post to list out just a few things that I have learnt so far in my journey of different career choice and what keeps me believing that I can do whatever I set my mind to.

WHAT I'VE LEARNT
  • Always think positively
  • Believe in yourself - if you don't believe in yourself, why should you expect others to?
  • Be aware of your strengths and use them to your advantage
  • Don't expect anything in life is easy - you have to work at life constantly & work hard
  • Never rely on others for your own happiness
  • Surround yourself with positive people that love & support you
  • Work on your relationships constantly - be it family, boyfriend, friends. End of the day relationships are all that we have in life at the end of the day.
  • Don't ever get disheartened or give up if you fail - remember it's what you learn and how you bounce back from failure that is the real test
  • Set goals and work hard at achieving them
  • Read books you love and that will teach you new things - since finishing uni I try to read a new book on business or investment or self improvement every fortnight.
Obviously I still have SO much more to learn but the exciting part is, I can't wait to continue learning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...