24 September 2012

Becoming a happier you



I watched an incredibly powerful movie on the train on the way to our next destination today (Budapest to Salzburg)...one that might take you by surprise. One that you probably never suspected.

The Lorax.

Yup. Dr suess has done it again with it's gorgeous story and insanely powerful lessons throughout and I honestly was laughing and emotional throughout. Most may have already watched it, or if you haven't most will be familar with the story, but what I took away from it most was the lesson right at the end....

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”  - The Lorax

He was just a boy, who cared and who changed his world and others. And yes, I know it's just a movie and sure, I know it's fiction, but I'm not buying for a second that it's not relative to your world & mine. You see. I'm just a girl. With a background that I could use to blame my future on. I'm just a girl, with my own projects & goals that I care about. And if I believed that I was just a girl, then I would always just be a girl wouldn't I? Here's what else I know however. Society, un helpful beliefs, families, friends & strangers tell you that are also just a girl, or a just guy, or just a single mother, or a just sister and so on. 

But you're not. You're so much more than that. 

You're a dreamer, a goal setter, an adventurer, an amazing friend, a beautiful sister, an inspiring individual, the best mum in the whole world, you care - you're a superhero. We're all just someone or another, right? Wrong. If we care, about a cause or a person or the world, then who's to say we can't effect change & inspire others to do bigger & better. Believing in yourself, loving yourself, and respecting yourself is step number 1. Finding out what you love and pursuing that for ultimate happiness is Step number 2. And if you have both of those on the way to working, then step number 3 can come naturally which is giving, or caring if we look at it from another angle and that's what the end goal is after all.

Life is here to be lived. I know I say that over and over but here it is again. 

Life is here to be lived. Life is here to be shared. Life is here to find yourself, to follow your dreams, to feel good - all the time. To travel, to settle, to have kids - to do whatever it is you wish to do with it. Every single day we get, is another gift that we're rewarded with. We get to wake up, to pursue a passion, to smile over an email from a friend, to eat our favourite food, to get a hug from our most treasured loved ones - and that overwhelms me. 

Maybe you're reading this at home in the quiet of your office, or maybe you're reading it as your rush through your day at work - but wherever you're reading it from. Stop. Just for a minute. And realise that you really are here for a reason. Maybe that's to be the best person to your friends or kids, maybe it's to invent the cure for cancer, or maybe it's to be as significant as being the best listener the world has ever seen. I urge you to pursue it though. 

You're not JUST anything. You're everything. Every-thing. 

Believe it, most others in your life would tell you that anyway so why NOT believe it? 

I want you to do whatever you have to do to believe with all your cells that you are amazing. Extraordinary infact, so start treating yourself as the extraoridnary person that you are. My quest when I get home is to keep loving & respecting my mind, body & soul as I have on this trip and one way I'm going to do that is the same advice I'm giving you today. 

Doing one thing EVERY DAY no matter how big or small that I love. That makes me happy. The feeling, the action, the elation. I'll be pursuing that every single day (I'm already doing that now). I challenge you to do the same. They said Steve Jobs woke up every morning and asked himself if today was the day he died, would he be happy doing what he was doing. If his answer was no. He'd change it. Do you love loud music? Yoga? Cooking? Eating something sweet? Hugging your kids? Laughing loudly? Reading a fantastic book? Drawing? Writing? The sunshine? Whatever is your snap crackle pop aka joy deriving activity then DO IT. Even if you only have 10 minutes in your super busy day - that we always blame for us not pursuing our own happiness - then do it for 10 minutes. There is always time. Always. Wake up earlier to do 20 minutes of yoga. Turn off the tv 30 minutes earlier at night to read a funny book, blog, draw. Find a job that gets you home at a better hour so you can cook a great dinner. Indulge in some delicious sweets every day - remember always in moderation! But just do it. No more excuses. We need to start taking better care of ourselves. Loving ourselves, and respecting our own happiness - caring about yourself will mean you can pass on that love & care to the world. We need to start caring more. About ourselves, our happiness, our paths in life. Because as Dr Seuss says - It's not about what it is, it's about what it can become." So no more excuses, about not enough time, money, opportunities...we can all find one thing we love a day doing and build from there and we can all work a little harder at our own happiness. 

I care. About you, about me, about our universe - and I'm ready to start making my own small changes.

Love & Light xx

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Thank you for the inspiring words!
    XX,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must thank you too, not only for a great message you left on my blog (I was really happy you still have a little time to stop by there while you´re travelling) but even for these words because it´s exactly what I needed to hear (or read) :) Hope you got to Budapest safely and keep enjoying yourself ;)
    xx Eve.h

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna, thanks so much for stopping, I am really honoured because I know how hectic it can be on vacation. My apologies for not commenting more often. But I do enjoy reading through your exciting travels. Thanks for the lovely inspiration to start the week, I feel like it spoke to me

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...