4 October 2011
Dalai Lama's 18 rules of living
by Anna Ogilvie
Sometimes I am lucky enough to stumble across articles with words and advice that inspire me impossibly and turns in to love at first read. If I'm really lucky, I read them on a day when I'm already in a fantastic mood and the advice just seems to stick a little harder and the words seem to resonate and sink in a little more. This occurred this past Monday morning when I stumbled across this article on the Dalai Lama's 18 rules of living. So here I am now passing on the gift of insight from this incredible man. Love to know if any one of these eighteen pieces of advice was your favourite. I couldn't pick just one but I did adore this one as I found it particularly relevant - "Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.".
What's your ? xx
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three Rs:
- Respect for self
- Respect for others
- Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
at 6:00 pm